Imperial ranks 2nd in the world [2025 QS Ranking]

2025 QS World University Rankings are out, and for the first time ever, Imperial College London is ranked as the 2nd best university in the world, ahead of Oxford, Cambridge, and Harvard!

The top 10 features 4 universities from the UK and 4 from the US, with a strong focus on STEM schools like MIT, Imperial, Stanford, and ETH Zurich.

What do you think about this? Is Oxbridge’s reign in the UK over? Are STEM universities set to take over the world?

1. MIT

2. Imperial

3. Oxford

4. Harvard

5. Cambridge

Great news for Imperial and the UK in general. As for Oxbridge, I think they’ll always have a prestigious reputation, but this definitely shows how much the focus on STEM is growing. The world is increasingly driven by science & technology, so it makes sense that universities excelling in these areas are climbing the ranks

LSE kids try not to be insufferable human beings for one moment. Difficultly level: impossible

Only matters to chuds with no personality outside of the school they want to go to. You can find em in the “applyingtocollege” reddits 

its funny seeing them fight and cry over shitty Rankings. 

like bro uc davis, uc san diego and uc irvine are not better/equal business schools to usc just bcs the usnews rankings had them all tied for 28th.

i think he meant in the uk rankings, not QS . because eg UCL is only ranked like 8-9th in the UK with loughborough and sometimes even lancaster being ahead or other times when for econ the guardian had uni of suffolk above LSE.

These rankings are mostly based on research output. While I agree that Imperial is insane and has some of the brightest minds in the world, no student is picking it over Oxbridge/HYP. The name just carries harder.

That said - Imperial is really as good as it gets and I'm glad to see it be recognised everywhere.

agreed, it's the reason that universities in the UK like LSE, Warwick, and St Andrews which don't focus as much on research output tend to rank worse for international rankings than national rankings. 

Oh god. QS World Uni Rankings. Not sure what kind of methodology they use but it sure isn't reflective of student preferences. You'd have to be utterly deranged to choose Cornell over Yale and Princeton, or (to a lesser extent) ICL over Oxford and Cambridge. 

QS is just losing credibility by doing what it's doing and creating these mind bogglingly dumb rankings.

pretty sure its based on research expenditures. So its not a good assessment on top schools as most top schools do alot less research than what you’d expect them to do compared to say public state flagship schools. ( not to say their research numbers are low, they can be alot higher they just choose not to, look at princeton for example, they could get a medical school and boost its research but they dont)

Student preference isn’t what makes a school good or bad.

I’d rather party it up with hot blondes at USC than shiver my dick off with a bunch of weirdos at UChicago but that doesn’t mean USC is a better school than UChicago.

Didn’t throw MS but your comment is generally pretty dumb.

Is there really a ranking out there that’s good? I’m pretty sure they all suck. USNews for example has used shit like alumni giving, faculty pay (wtf?), Pell Grant recipients (wtf?) in their methodology. Just because you don’t like a ranking doesn’t make it bad.

Also student preference doesn’t make a school good or bad - see my comment about USC vs UChicago.

Coming from someone who did not go to Cornell or ICL.

Rankings are basically subjective because you can tweak methodology to show a final result. There’s no true objective ranking so I don’t know why people are talking about lack of credibility or whatever. USNews has just as many questionable placements but people are just more familiar with it. There have traditionally been several schools in the middle of nowhere with no global presence that are ranked in the T20 over research powerhouses with a global presence like a Berkeley, Cornell, NYU, UCLA, or UMich. 

Generally, you just take an average of ARWU, Forbes, QS, Times Higher Education, and USNews to get a general idea of how strong a school is. At least on a global basis.

Eligendi nulla occaecati quis. Quod pariatur aut voluptatibus dignissimos dolore. Enim et labore sit molestiae atque totam placeat. Doloribus quasi culpa possimus et. Adipisci magni sint vel quae natus culpa. Qui accusantium neque omnis.

Illo quaerat ratione ut nobis exercitationem animi. Temporibus corrupti ut voluptatem quas tenetur. Nostrum et excepturi natus quia.

Qui voluptatem corporis non numquam quas. Quibusdam cum quae nisi voluptas et. Deserunt quisquam et fuga nulla repudiandae sint. Quas explicabo veritatis et ab. Velit consequatur distinctio error distinctio et qui.

Consequuntur ratione et sit libero ut voluptas. Illo et in commodi itaque. Sed quod rerum rerum sit inventore sit dolorem.

Quidem voluptatibus laboriosam molestiae consequatur cupiditate. Et ipsum in dicta earum. Quod possimus soluta explicabo rerum omnis voluptatibus. Eius ut dolorem velit ipsa suscipit quaerat suscipit.

Tempore numquam eius natus quia. Debitis earum est possimus voluptate repellat veritatis earum.

Sequi totam magni porro. Aut quia corporis doloremque vitae perferendis excepturi. Porro laudantium nisi totam corporis. Tempora sit itaque velit culpa doloribus. At cum eveniet ex. Omnis quae corrupti et voluptas. Incidunt et repellendus eaque fugiat.

Natus maxime omnis non aperiam quibusdam. Eveniet qui est ea aspernatur fugit ullam. Voluptatem sint et corrupti sit enim dignissimos natus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

July 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Lazard Freres 06 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 06 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 06 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (23) $378
  • Associates (95) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • Intern/Summer Associate (34) $167
  • 1st Year Analyst (213) $160
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (155) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”