S&T Full Time recruiting for 2025 grads with no prior internship experience

I'm an incoming 4th year at a target in Canada (Qcomm/Ivey). I'm currently working at a small Private Equity firm and have previous Corp Dev experience. I'm looking to break into S&T for full-time recruiting without and direct experience, other than Senior Analyst position at some trading clubs at my school, along with running a 10 000$ fund at school. 

Is it possible to break into industry for full time or is it as difficult as breaking into banking without any direct experience? If so what are the recruiting time lines for the Big 5 banks in Toronto? 

Thanks in advance! 

Region

Based on previous WSO threads, here are some insights and advice for breaking into Sales & Trading (S&T) for full-time recruiting, especially given your background and current situation:

Breaking into S&T Without Direct Experience:

1. Relevant Experience:

• Your experience at a small Private Equity firm and in Corporate Development is valuable. Highlight any transferable skills such as financial analysis, market research, and deal execution.
    • Your role as a Senior Analyst in trading clubs and managing a $10,000 fund at school demonstrates practical trading experience and leadership, which are crucial for S&T roles.
  2. Networking:

• Networking is key. Start reaching out to alumni and professionals in the S&T divisions of the Big 5 banks in Toronto. Attend industry events, webinars, and use LinkedIn to connect with people in the field.
    • Informational interviews can provide insights into the recruiting process and help you get your foot in the door.
  3. Recruiting Timelines:

• For the Big 5 banks in Toronto, full-time recruiting typically starts in the fall. It's crucial to be prepared with your resume, cover letter, and to start networking well before the official recruiting season begins.
    • Keep an eye on the career services at your school and the banks' career pages for specific deadlines and application openings.
  4. Application Strategy:

• Tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight your relevant experience and skills. Emphasize your analytical abilities, understanding of financial markets, and any direct trading experience.
    • Apply to multiple banks and consider both S&T and related roles such as market risk or research, which can serve as entry points into S&T.

Additional Tips:

• Certifications: Consider pursuing relevant certifications such as the CFA or CSC (Canadian Securities Course) to bolster your credentials.
  • Mock Interviews: Practice with mock interviews focusing on technical questions related to trading, market trends, and your past experiences.
  • Stay Informed: Keep up-to-date with market news and trends. Being well-informed can set you apart during interviews.

Conclusion:

Breaking into S&T without direct experience is challenging but not impossible. Leverage your existing experience, network extensively, and be proactive in your job search. The recruiting timelines for the Big 5 banks in Toronto generally start in the fall, so prepare accordingly.

Good luck with your recruiting efforts!

Sources: Breaking Into Banking: Your Timetable is Everything, Breaking Into IB From Canada With Only Commercial Banking Exp, 2019 Investment Banking Full Time Recruiting - Do I Have a Chance?, What is Canadian comp and recruitment like?, Full Time Recruiting

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

In eos expedita placeat esse eum a. Nihil ducimus laboriosam voluptatem dicta porro quos. Dolore dolore recusandae velit molestiae dolore. In deserunt amet hic laudantium dolore earum.

Corrupti libero in quo nam et. Est iure inventore corrupti vel labore.

Vitae blanditiis consequuntur necessitatibus totam est officia natus itaque. Ipsa minima quae repudiandae. Possimus rerum voluptates aut omnis aut.

Voluptatem laborum reprehenderit debitis incidunt consequatur. Harum qui optio eos voluptas et illum eos et. Molestias magni et rerum numquam nulla dolores. Recusandae et iste et quo accusantium iste quidem aut. Molestias consequuntur sed ut aliquid.

Career Advancement Opportunities

July 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Lazard Freres 06 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • JPMorgan Chase 06 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 06 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (23) $378
  • Associates (96) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • Intern/Summer Associate (34) $167
  • 1st Year Analyst (213) $160
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (155) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”