How do I network for IB/PE summer 2026 internships as a rising sophomore?

Searched WSO and am still confused. For context I'm a rising sophomore at Stanford (only specified because idk if Stanford being almost entirely focused on tech should change my approach to networking/interviews in general).

I just want to know:

1) When should I start networking for both IB and PE (I read about on-cycle but I'm not sure if this applies to me)?

2) Is networking literally just emailing and setting up a call to learn more about the person and their experience/position?

3) What should I expect in these informational calls (what will we talk about)?

4) Should I be emailing only analysts, or should I target some management and interns? Also do I email the recruiter?

5) How do referrals work? How do I know if I've been given one?

6) Do these networking calls lead to an interview for big firms or do I still apply though a formal online portal and application process?

Sorry if there are really simple questions that are answered elsewhere on the sub, but I'm coming from a pretty non-finance background so any support would be greatly greatly appreciated. I will also be/have been reaching out to upperclassmen for support. Thank you!

1. Begin networking for IB in December of your sophomore year. Applications will begin to open up Dec and Jan and interviews will likely come out around Feb-April. Don't worry about stuff you are seeing for PE recruitment, that is for after graduation.

2. Essentially yes, you want to ask them any questions about them, the firm, and anything you think would make a good conversation. You want to build a network and stay in touch with people you have good conversations with. Primarily aim to reach out to analysts as building these relationships are the most important (they are likely the ones who will give you referrals for interviews). 

3. Expect to lead the calls as you are the one reaching out with questions, not them. Try to make the calls conversational and not transactional, so do not make it sound like you are just looking for a referral. Come prepared with some general questions to guide the conversation and then obviously ask anything that comes to mind during it.

4. Mostly email analysts, can email associates if they went to your school or have a personal connection with them. Don't email VPs or MDs unless a strong personal connection already and emailing HR can be helpful if you have application questions, but they won't help with getting an interview (don't need to talk to them at all to get an interview).

5. Some firms might send an email saying you have received a referral but most you won't know unless they tell you they gave you one. Just have to keep networking and hope the interviews start coming in.

6. You have to apply still. Apply even if you haven't networked at a firm yet because applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. If you apply by the time you feel like you have networked, it may be too late because you waited for so long. Apply as soon as applications come out, but you will get most if not all of your interviews from networking.

I'm planning on reaching out to upperclassmen first who just started their internships. For clarification, this won't help in terms of getting a referral/interview right? I don't mind that as I just want to get their advice/get a feel of what's coming up, but still wanted to clarify. 

No it won't help with getting a referral but it will be good to practice networking and definitely helpful going into recruiting. People who go to your school will be able to help you the best.

Do not listen to the above and start networking in December. Mid Dec - first week of Jan is going to be very slow / no responses anyways. Start in late October/early November at the latest.

I'd say October is early but sure November is fine too. People I know who started networking in January turned out fine. More so your ability to network properly and the connections you make rather than when you start.

Ok that makes sense, as a follow up would it be ok to start now? I have much more time than I would during the school year and am not against networking at all. My only reason to not do it would be because it might seem weird to the people I'm reaching out to. Is it weird to start like early July?

Most Helpful

Are you on campus? I would try to get in touch with upperclassmen who just went through recruiting at Stanford. They would have the most relevant advice for you.

I started networking late freshman summer around August and kept in touch with those contacts through the fall and winter, sending quick updates like starting an internship at a local bank or that my group had pitched a stock for our student investment fund. I had relatively few alumni from my school so I focused on people who used to be president of my school’s finance club and asked who else they thought I should speak to. Ended up branching out naturally from there speaking to mostly Analysts and Associates. It was helpful that the associates were generally still in banking by the time interviews happened. Many of the analysts leave.

Quis illo amet consectetur et ipsam. Fugit qui doloribus excepturi sed beatae ea quae. Sequi voluptatem similique culpa voluptas tempora libero corrupti.

Architecto accusamus vero non amet ad sed. Aut nobis omnis ut doloribus. Corporis aperiam est corporis praesentium quaerat eaque dolorem esse. Nemo perferendis blanditiis cumque quod quo atque. Doloremque magnam veritatis quasi sint.

Career Advancement Opportunities

July 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Lazard Freres 06 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 06 97.7%
  • Credit Suisse 04 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (23) $378
  • Associates (95) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • Intern/Summer Associate (34) $167
  • 1st Year Analyst (213) $160
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (155) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”