On-Cycle 2024: Advice from an Interviewer

Good luck to all of you going through on-cycle recruiting in the next couple of days. I wanted to share a couple of tips as you kick off:

1) Don't forget you can say no. Many of you are still on vacation in Europe and haven't prepared at all. You might actually not be ready. No harm in saying no. On that point...

2) It's ok to do 3 years of banking. It's a breath of fresh air to talk with someone who has actually been at their job for more than 2 days before interviewing for their next job. Year 2 and 3 of investment banking are actually incredibly productive from a learning standpoint and much better from a lifestyle standpoint. Much better than year one as a PE associate, for sure. 

3) Slow down, tell us what you know. We get it, you graduated 2 weeks ago. On technicals, take a breath, start with what you know and then try to share how you're thinking about it. 

4) You're better served interviewing well at a few places than shot-gunning. It becomes clear when you're trying to interview at 5 shops at once. Take the time to narrow your list and have good answers to "Why XYZ firm?". 

5) There are a ton of shops out there that are great, and many of the ones you think are great aren't. So keep an open mind going through the process. 

6) We submit feedback on a rolling basis, so probably doesn't actually help to send a thank you note. Always worth doing if you have time, but don't stress so much that you can't perform. 

Best of luck to all of you!

could you expand on point 6 - dunno whats the connection between thank you notes and feedback.

Assumes he means that after each interview, the interviewer submits feedback rather than a big discussion after all interviews. No use in sending a thank you note after feedback was already submitted in this case

This is helpful thank you - had a question: if I havent had any touch points with firms or head hunters prior to now - am I out of luck for this cycle? Am well prepped but was stalling intros until back from vacation. 

How do I position myself if I am ready technical and behavioral-wise but don't know firms well since haven't been in convos.

Was curious - what happens if you’ve had HH conversations but are met with radio silence during on cycle?

Do you just wait it out or is it better to be proactive and try to slip into interview processes by networking directly / emailing the headhunters for opps

Est sint saepe sapiente porro rerum. Sapiente nobis quod tenetur facilis voluptas iure. Enim numquam sint saepe corrupti voluptates nihil.

Vel beatae amet qui quia molestiae dolore. Cupiditate sint amet voluptas deserunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Lazard Freres 06 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 06 97.7%
  • Credit Suisse 04 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (23) $378
  • Associates (95) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • Intern/Summer Associate (34) $167
  • 1st Year Analyst (213) $160
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (154) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”