MSF Rankings 2024

Making this list purely on my personal perception of the programs. I feel like it would be helpful for prospective students who are thinking about doing an MSF.

S Tier: Vanderbilt
A Tier: Georgetown
B Tier: UT, USC, Villanova
C Tier: IU, Notre Dame, Emory
D Tier: OSU, SMU

These programs would be generally better from a rebranding and OCR point of view.
Avoid Tulane, UIUC, WUSTL as these programs genuinely hold no value and have just become cash cow businesses where 90% of the students are Chinese kids and have poor placements.

Vanderbilt should be in a tier by itself. Really the only program that consistently places the majority of its class in FO roles. Emory and Georgetown should be equivalent to the next tier, and then everyone else below can be debated. Emory's program is new but is starting to gain a solid reputation and placed a few kids at some really good roles this year; Georgetown places 4-5 at MM each year, which is solid for an MSF.

Doing one of these next year, so researched them a lot lol. 

Willing to make the change but what is the thought process behind switching these two? Both programs place students regionally, and for me in that case Villanova beats UT every time since its so close to NY.

Look up the VSB (Villanova School of Business) alums on LinkedIn and filter by "What they studied: Finance". Now do this to for Villanova University (undergrad) and see that the placements are wildly better.
Their masters programs have not placed anyone anywhere except for a few student athletes that were already at Villanova for undergrad and had been recruiting throughout undergrad.
Also the employment report for Villanova is so bare bones, it looks like they are trying to hide how bad their placements actually are.
UT Austin may be more regional to Texas, but at least you can get into better roles, and it's a top 20 school with a better name.

I think Vanderbilt is a no brainer. But I wanted to stack other programs as not everyone can or will get into Vandy at the end of the day. Georgetown is a really good program but the only negative is that they don’t take international students, I guess it’s a good or a bad thing depending on who you are

is emory that strong? which program gives the most scholarship money?

Emory is a good program, but would say not as good as Georgetown. In terms of scholarships, the state schools are gonna give you the least amount. I know Villanova has a great option of becoming a GA where you essentially get 50% tuition off. And i believe around 35% of the students get the GA position.

edit: dropped Emory down after viewing the recent career outcome report

right. yeah for me i’m an international so Georgetown isn’t ideal, looking for the best program possible with the highest scholarship money. is getting a RA position guaranteed?

if you're choosing a master's program based on what's cheaper, you're better off not doing a master's at all - that's a 100% scholarship (more if you take into account money from working instead of going to classes), and the results will be the same if not better (cause 2 years of work experience are more valuable than a master's from a school that nobody's heard of) than going to whatever master's offers the most scholarship money.

I would probably encourage people to view the price according to how much you think the program will aid you with landing a job post grad. For example, I would pay full price for Vandy instead of having a large scholarship at a school with weak job placements. However, I would choose lateraling every time over attending masters. But for international students it is not an option unfortunately.

still probably makes more sense to go to one of those, even if you don't plan to be a quant, rather than going to any of the ones on your list. yeah, you'll have to take a few difficult math/programming courses, but you'll have MIT/Princeton/NYU on your diploma instead of Villanova/OSU/UIUC. Duke is better too cause it will be a top diploma for a chill coursework. there are some other top schools that offer MMS. I forgot which ones, but something like UVA and Northwestern I think.

I've applied to Vandy but does anyone know if they place into BB? I know they have great placements into MM but with a corporate banking internship at a BB what would be my chances of lateral into IB thru this program? 

Perferendis corrupti iste consequatur. Natus excepturi ratione suscipit est. Accusamus et soluta est cupiditate quo autem.

Tempora qui repellat mollitia a quam. Ipsam ducimus earum quidem ullam consequatur ut. Repellat est cumque blanditiis molestiae ut ea. Qui omnis eos qui maiores.

Autem non eligendi dignissimos necessitatibus et qui. Non voluptas iusto veniam omnis neque voluptas. Aliquid molestiae nam ut laborum optio. Suscipit expedita tempore facere aut dolore. Ratione quo maiores est sit voluptate. Ullam ex nam placeat officia autem ut.

Beatae qui mollitia cumque aut molestias incidunt sit. Eos aut et quidem consectetur nihil. Sunt corrupti et nisi et ut vel. Hic ut sint nemo natus. Inventore ea assumenda ipsa earum dolores. Distinctio exercitationem exercitationem impedit.

Quia exercitationem beatae et nihil illum ratione. Ea aspernatur error culpa adipisci quas molestiae. Inventore rerum numquam aut.

Voluptate atque accusamus cupiditate quisquam error. Deserunt nam est velit magni facilis facilis. Inventore dolorem ducimus in dolores natus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”