Is getting a $50,000 student loan to study (undergrad finance) at Bocconi worth it over studying for free at HKU (also finance)?

Title. I have to choose between Bocconi's and HKU's finance undergrad programs. I'm a Europoor, so naturally I'd prefer to study in HK for free, and then work in the US or Singapore. I've seen that Bocconi's finance programs rank higher than HKU's, however, I'm not sure if that reputation is worth anything in Singapore and America, where I really want to work in the future. I saw old posts where ppl said that many Bocconi graduates landed a job in IBD in London but im not really sure if thats still the case when the UK is not in the EU. But even if it is, I absolutely despise that stinky shithole and would never want to work there.

So would I have better chances of landing a job in IB in SG and the US after HKU or Bocconi?

I love HK and would rather study there than in Milan, but I'm not sure if HKU means anything to Americans or Singaporeans. I know that after Bocconi I would probably work in stinky London, but where would I work after HKU? From what I've heard all ppl who work in Singapore or the US graduated from UK/US universities. Honestly, I would even study in a 3rd world country if it meant getting a nice IB job. So I don't want to be blinded simply by HK's student experience, because all that matters to me is a good career.

Most Helpful

HKU would place you in HK/Singapore for the most part, though only in non-Chinese speaking firms, unless you're a fluent Mandarin speaker. Moving stateside would be more difficult, given the preference for local targets and visa issues. I'd suggest checking HKU's LinkedIn page to see where alums with a similar profile to you end up.

To infinity... and beyond!

Sorry if I'm being braindead, but how is it that you can study in HK for free - did you land a scholarship or something?

As for Bocconi, I would caveat their programmes with the fact I saw English students who've gone over report poor English standard, and poor teaching quality a few years ago on TSR, not sure how it has changed since.

Placeat omnis nisi vel et. Odit assumenda occaecati soluta. Facere libero vero id. Doloremque autem rerum dolor odit maiores ut itaque.

Enim ut sit ipsam tempora. Sapiente maxime sint est vel omnis id sed laudantium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”