"I voted 100% Dem until a few years ago. Now, I think we need a red wave or America is toast.” - Elon Musk

-

Agree / disagree?

"I voted 100% Dem until a few years ago. Now, I think we need a red wave or America is toast.”

Agree
62% (117 votes)
Disagree
38% (73 votes)
Total votes: 190

Controversial

I sincerely doubt he voted Democrat.

More to the point, why should we care?  The guy who played the "I'm the real victim here" so hard that he tanked his own reputation along with two major companies is the person we're listening to?  The guy who is so sensitive to criticism that he lit like 30 billion dollars on fire just to crack down on speech that hurt his feelings is the person who has a good read on what the country needs?

Of course Elon Musk in 2024 is advocating that we need more conservatives in office.  At this point his whole shtick is "I can say whatever I want without consequences, but no one else is allowed to say anything bad about me or else they should get in real trouble," and that's basically the mantra of modern conservatism in the first place.  It's like asking Rudy Giuliani if he thinks Mr Trump should win this election - no shit, because he's totally fucked without a pardon.

The guy who is so sensitive to criticism that he lit like 30 billion dollars on fire just to crack down on speech that hurt his feelings is the person who has a good read on what the country needs?

I'd rather have him monitor speech (even if he is flawed) more than the other guys...

Plaxo3

I'd rather have him monitor speech (even if he is flawed) more than the other guys...

I mean, the only speech monitoring he seems to be doing is making sure no one makes fun of him.

Look, if you want to swim around in the tank of a port-a-john, that's your own business.  Like is attracted to like, after all.  And guess what, X is a safe space for you now, to roam free with all the other Nazi's and bigots and whatever other dregs are on there.  It's a right wing carnival!   But then don't give me the hypocrisy about how his censorship is "better" than others.

I fully support Mr Musk's right to do with his property what he pleases.  His choices have been uniformly idiotic and embarrassing from a business standpoint, but it is his company and he can do what he wants.  I just find it rage-inducing that he (or anyone else) then has the gall to complain that everyone else is voting with their wallet, or exercising their rights, to run as fast as they can from X.  Mr Musk wants to have his cake and eat it too, like every "free speech" moron, because it isn't about speech, it's about forcing others to do what you want.

He's done more for this world than Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Letitia James, Eric Adams, Kathy Hochul, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton and the entire Democrat party COMBINED. 

My street is full of caravans of illegals roaming around with their freebies while me and thousands of other legal and highly qualified immigrants are NOWHERE close to getting citizenship in this country.

The woke virus has destroyed America and we need a serious change of course. 

consultt

He's done more for this world than Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Letitia James, Eric Adams, Kathy Hochul, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton and the entire Democrat party COMBINED. 

My street is full of caravans of illegals roaming around with their freebies while me and thousands of other legal and highly qualified immigrants are NOWHERE close to getting citizenship in this country.

The woke virus has destroyed America and we need a serious change of course. 

The adults are talking, my man.  Go find your juice box and sit back down.

Haha troublemaker or truth seeker?

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Isaiah_53_5 💎🙌💎🙌💎

Haha troublemaker or truth seeker?

At this point, it probably makes the most sense to legally divide the country into blue states and red states - a two state solution.  If the two parties do not get along at all, what is the point of having the United States as it is currently constructed.

Most Helpful

Liberals are destroying everything. Look at Canada, US will be that if Dems win again.

Really like Kennedy Jr this time though. Dude has been the only one going to speak on normal platforms and is calling out every industry.
They’re not offering him secret service protection to bleed him out even though he qualifies on poll numbers. 

Man is strong on polls, has coherent arguments, actually knows what he’s talking about.

If people stop getting scared that he’ll split the vote and go for him, might actually make history.

Guy is too real exposing everyone and might make another one on the list of fallen Kennedys though.

ToTheMoooooon

Kennedy Jr 
They’re not offering him secret service protection to bleed him out even though he qualifies on poll numbers. 

>.> interesting choice of words

All seriousness is anyone surprised? The DNC has completely boxed out the most reasonable candidates fielded in the last 2 elections in favor of the most institutional swamp monsters that join the field.

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

I am pretty sure he knows he is getting a target on his back, man’s seen firsthand what happens when you try to change the system.

He’s lived a full life, I think his thinking is might as well die trying to do something right for the country.

Better late than never I guess. I voted Libertarian till 2020 then realized burying my head in theory about how bad all government is and refusing to support candidates that actually struck at the establishment power centers (despite their own glaring flaws) wasn't accomplishing anything. While I'd prefer abolishment of the Fed, free markets, and gutting the military industrial complex, I'll settle for a state with lower taxes, reduced regulation, and less wars over more of the current trajectory.

Sure as fuck don't want to end up like most of Europe or Canada.

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

PrivateTechquity 🚀GME🚀

While I'd prefer abolishment of the Fed, free markets, and gutting the military industrial complex

Putting the past bit of it aside, this is so disturbing about people who don't care to learn about history, who are so self-absorbed that they think the world didn't spring into being until they themselves were born.

You do realize that the Fed is recently new, and the reason it exists is because the country was measurably worse off without it?  Or that free markets are a myth, and the times we've come close to having truly free markets, are the times when you've got mass unrest and people being shot to death in the streets or on the picket line?  Like, all of this existed, and it was so bad we got rid of it.  If you want free markets and no central bank, move to Somalia!  My guess is you won't, because you want all the comforts and amenities of living in the United States... most every single one of which exists because of institutions like the Fed, because of higher tax burdens, because of regulation.  You could very easily put your money where your mouth is, because those countries do exist!  But what you really want (like all libertarians) is for someone else to pay for your shit, or for someone else to do the work to build a functioning society which you can then utilize without doing any of the work or enduring any of the sacrifice necessary for subsequent generations to enjoy those same privileges.

Funniest

Ozymandia

PrivateTechquity 🚀GME🚀

While I'd prefer abolishment of the Fed, free markets, and gutting the military industrial complex

Putting the past bit of it aside, this is so disturbing about people who don't care to learn about history, who are so self-absorbed that they think the world didn't spring into being until they themselves were born.

Oh boy. And here ladies and gentlemen is the signal of an oncoming word salad that provides yet another shining example of the simultaneously condescending, woefully ignorant, and impressively incoherent leftist drivel that is driving the the exact point Elon's making.

You do realize that the Fed is recently new, and the reason it exists is because the country was measurably worse off without it?

Wrong

Or that free markets are a myth, and the times we've come close to having truly free markets, are the times when you've got mass unrest and people being shot to death in the streets or on the picket line? 

Wrong

Like, all of this existed, and it was so bad we got rid of it.  If you want free markets and no central bank, move to Somalia! My guess is you won't, because you want all the comforts and amenities of living in the United States...

Non-sequitur strawman - by that logic move to Europe if you don't like free speech and want free healthcare and stop pushing it here

most every single one of which exists because of institutions like the Fed, because of higher tax burdens, because of regulation. 

So wrong it's not even funny

You could very easily put your money where your mouth is, because those countries do exist!  But what you really want (like all libertarians) is for someone else to pay for your shit,

Nope, pretty ok with paying for my own shit thanks. I just don't want to also pay for anyone else's. This is a pretty profoundly retarded accusation (and obvious projection) onto the party thats entire ethos is "everyone (govt. included) fuck off and leave me alone with my guns and private property."

or for someone else to do the work to build a functioning society which you can then utilize without doing any of the work or enduring any of the sacrifice necessary for subsequent generations to enjoy those same privileges.

Societies (including the US) existed long before and will exist long after the Fed and other institutions like them. But you go on and keep believing that modern civilization began because a group of bankers got together in secret on an island and devised a way to control a rising superpower's money supply. Whatever helps you comfortably sleep in the pod and choke down the bugs.

Eisenhower tried to warn us!

Voting for Trump but would rather have Vivek or Youngkin. Biden is just a vote for inane woke leftist policies whispered in his ear by his handlers…

I just caught up with a friend who is a genuine little-red-book carrying leftist. He also happens to be an unemployed trust fund kid pursuing film, and he’s banking on becoming a landlord when he inherits his parents’ rental properties. And he was getting on my ass about wanting to pay lower taxes in New York. You can’t make this shit up.

As someone with kids, and trying for more kids, I am voting democrat 1000% solely based off how fucking stupid republicans have gotten on the abortion issue

Not trying to have my wife potentially die from pregnancy or birth complications.

but I don’t expect most of you all to understand. Because you’re single and haven’t held hands with a girl since middle school 

margin_calls

in what states can you not have an abortion if the health of the mother is in jeopardy?

Seems like every state allows it.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/a-guide-to-abortion-la…

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

margin_calls

in what states can you not have an abortion if the health of the mother is in jeopardy?

Literally all of them allow it in the event of a life jeopardizing emergency, he and his wife are just ignoramuses that believe every headline (i.e. DNC's target demo).

Elon received billions in government grants (mostly Dem-oriented) that funded his ventures all along; so it would be understandable if he did vote Dem all along, as he claims.

However, due to economic/fiscal issues in recent years, it would be understandable that might now lean more to the right.

I find that even the most diehard Dems are starting to get frustrated with a lot of issues in recent years.

A red wave is at least somewhat likely; but it depends on how each side will portray the relevant issues, leading up to the election.

P.S. Regarding Republican ideology...

It's important to note that Republicans in the South, and Republicans in the Northeast, have a very different focus/perspective.

In the South, most Republicans are social conservatives; whereas, in the Northeast, are mostly moderate/fiscally conservative.

Many in the Republican Party are quite frustrated with the overall shift towards the Southern Republican / MAGA perspective.

My point is that not all Republicans share the same view on social issues (even among religious Republicans), and many are essentially moderate (e.g. Moderate, but right-of center on economic/fiscal issues).

I see the GOP branding as troubled in recent years, because most people see the party in terms of the South, which isn't always accurate.

Investor (30+ years); IB/RE/PE/Corp. Exp (MD level); currently, head of boutique private equity firm; principal of family office.

The demographics do not favor red waves because young aside from WSO, young people tend to have progressive views.  In general, young people

1: Support a woman's right to choose, 

2: Support stricter gun control

3. Are substantial much less interested in religion than previous generations

4. Etc.

Unless something changes,  as new generations emerge, the trend should continue.

These young people become older people and change their political stance on these issues. That's happened from the beginning of time and will continue to happen until the end of time. Do you think this is the only young generation in history that's left-wing? 

If anything Republicans will become stronger as the population ages and the birth rate declines.

Stmirrenoff

These young people become older people and change their political stance on these issues. That's happened from the beginning of time and will continue to happen until the end of time. Do you think this is the only young generation in history that's left-wing? 

There is actually data showing that this is, for once, not happening - especially among women. Gen X and Millennials are not getting more conservative as they age like prior generations. 

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Stmirrenoff

If anything Republicans will become stronger as the population ages and the birth rate declines.

I am part of gen X and most of my peers are part of the same group.  99% of my liberal minded peers still have the same views as they did when they were younger.  

margin_calls

everyone becomes Republican once they start making money and realize how bad taxes are

taxed when you make money, when you buy something, when you own real estate, when you die, social security you will never see, gifts, gas, investments, etc. etc. etc.

Most people who I know think about issues other than taxation.

Dr. Rahma Dikhinmahas

Imagine being some random finance guy and disagreeing with Elon Musk about where the world should be headed.

Why should anyone defer to Elon Musk on “where the world should be headed?” 

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Because they don't know shit?  I wouldn't go so far as to say defer.  But it's funny to me, seeing this brilliant and accomplished builder of tech businesses on the one hand, and on the other hand seeing a bunch of critics who've demonstrated squat in terms of what they would know about the world's needs going forward.  If it's Elon vs. WSO Guy on structuring a property deal, that's a different story.

If you want to know what's going to happen in November, just look at exit polls of Nikki Haley voters in primaries (and before you say they were all Democrats anyways, check out the Florida primary numbers).

Republican leadership has decided to hand the entire party over to one of the biggest grifters the world has ever seen, and sane Republican voters who actually have historical context understand that this won't end well. Trump won in '16 because of begrudging support from moderate Republicans -- without that the whole thing is a zero. 

Certainly true.  My concern is he'll get Biden elected.  No matter what one thinks of RFK, its undeniable that people who support him are more independent-minded folks who question the usual way of doing things.   And to me that describes someone who'd vote for Trump if forced to choose between the two main ones.

Esse cupiditate voluptate sed omnis assumenda eligendi nihil. Qui architecto iusto et esse et quia molestiae et. Qui molestiae ducimus qui assumenda et voluptatibus voluptatem. Voluptate omnis quo culpa et rerum non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”