I took the GMAT Focus and got a 755. Will this make up for being a non-target?

I am sharp I have 35 ACT and a high GMAT Focus (for those unfamiliar they remade the GMAT to drop the average score and raised the max to 805). I went to a non target as I was too young to live away from home. I am wondering if you saw a candidate with these scores would you still ding him for being a non-target? I am trying to do 2 to 3 in IB then PE.

spongeboygoofy

For hiring. I am hoping they will see it and say O he's smart even though he's a non target.

You don't need to be smart to get a high GMAT. 

It's just practice. 

I wouldn't hang my hat on this. If you're struggling then use the good GMAT to try and get a good target MBA and go that route.

London Sponsors M&A - EB

Arguably you don't need to be smart to go to a target or do IB/PE it is largely a matter of work ethic. I am long term going PE so I am trying for the usual 2+2+2 IB PE then MBA.

You should swing for a H/S/W with that kind of score, deferred MBA program could work if you weren’t able to secure any employment on the street outside of College.

Did you go to college early or something? Confused by the “too young” comment

If so, (tactfully) play up the kid genius angle. You can use all the test scores (gmat included) to buttress that point. But it’s no more relevant for that purpose than other scores like SAT.

I spent my whole life fighting to get into Uchicago's econ program was accepted a few years before most people go to college and my parents would not let me leave. I am still extremely bitter about it. Thus went to a local school. I didn't want to go to Chicago for the banking placement simply loved Econ and was told to go to Chicago. Now I realize my likely career afterwards would have been IB into PE as I would have learned of it there and pursued it. Alas, I have to claw my way up. 

Test scores are the best measurement of intelligence out of any other alternative that's possible on an application, but it isn't perfect because there is variance due to range of reasons but correlation is pretty high

GPA is more of a measurement of work ethic although this is *dependent on major, aligned with individual strengths, class difficulty, personal goals. This is an area that's more subjective and honestly don't believe that it's a good metric to look at to measure potential 

I believe test scores + club attendance/external activities are a better measurement than School + GPA personally, coming from someone who went to a t10

Why do you want to do PE? Demand far exceeds supply, and it's a narrow pyramid to the top. Not really a growth industry moving forward either. 

If I'm being honest, you've probably missed the boat for this particular path. The ultra-successful people you see at the top have had mostly non-linear careers, find something you're passionate about and kill it

*Don't listen to the guy above saying you don't need to be smart to get a high GMAT score because that's proveably false 

Est consectetur voluptas voluptas et ducimus. Aut cum quae facilis deleniti excepturi reprehenderit. Vitae maxime voluptas sequi sint laborum dolorum.

Occaecati voluptate cum suscipit qui voluptatem. Architecto ut et sed eaque expedita corrupti enim. Sit molestiae sit sunt expedita. Rerum nam non sequi sunt. Saepe omnis laboriosam eos ad exercitationem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”