Re-recruiting for SA 2026

Recently received an offer at a solid MM shop (Stifel//Piper/Solomon/WB), but my initial goal was really to get in to an EB and pursue Rx (EVR/PWP/LAZ). I felt like I started networking way too late for this cycle and my technical skills have a lot of room for improvement. Would it be a good idea to still do the SA 25 and try to recruit for SA 26 at the same time (exclusively for EBs)? Would try to recruit for FT but it would be 10 times harder. Many thanks!

Personally don’t think it’s a great idea; I would pick one or the other. If you accept the MM offer with no intention of returning FT, imo you’ve deprived a kid out there who would happily accept.

Some may not agree, but I think it you’re going to “play it safe” by taking advantage of a MM firm bc you’re not confident you can actually land a better offer in the future, then you’re being a pussy. Either be confident in yourself and rerecruit all in or settle for your MM offer and move on. Sorry lol - this sort of stuff really bothers me

What?? In this market nobody should be stupid enough to pass up an offer like this so that another candidate they’re competing with can get it. Let’s be real

I have no problem with re-recruiting; I think it's a savvy move if you're willing to graduate a semester or two later than planned. However, to accept a MM offer now in order to pursue other opportunities next year - just because you want the cushion of a MM offer in case things don't work out - is cowardly imo. Plus, I would anticipate that other firms would be confused as to how you landed a Junior SA position at a MM as Sophomore.

If you're confident you can land a better offer next year, go for it! Grind your ass off and get the offer you want. But do not take an offer other kids would die for and weasel around. Just my two cents.

They will wonder how you got a MM sophomore summer. Then they will realize you bs'd the MM firm. Just take the MM and recruit FT, it's not hard. If u try to rerecruit then they will know you're a bs artist and then you're fucked

Wait I’m confused. If you get into an middle market SA 2025 and were to recruit again for SA 2026, couldn’t you just explain you decided to stay in school for another year? It’s not like you’re obligated to stay in the MM firm past SA.

It sounds like a fool proof idea, but if you really really think about it: it’s a total bitch move. Bro if you’re confident you can land a better offer then go land one. Don’t use a MM offer as a safety net

Most Helpful

lots of self preservation and bad advice on this thread. Here’s what you do:

1. Find an interest that is tangentially relevant to finance and/or an industry group you’d like to pursue.

2. Find a semester long internship per the above.

3. In your story say that you originally were going to go to the MM for XYZ but received a recommendation from some authority figure that you’re a great fit and you’d get a lot out of the internship and should take a gap semester to pursue it. You talked about it with your mentor and decided it fits into your plan and would dovetail nicely with whatever group you want to rerecruit into (figure out how to spin it).

At the end of the day, everyone in this industry is a bs artist, but what’s important is that your word means something and you don’t fuck over your team. Re-recruiting is fine with the right story.

Agree. For instance, the 2024 election is coming up. Go work on a campaign for a local congressman or politician. Politics ties into everything so it’s not hard to relate that to your own interests and to banking. But it’s a gutsy move.

Source: in similar shoes as you but I’m happy with my offer.

lmao is it the same guy making five different accounts giving the same shit advice? It's not "cowardly" or a "bitch move" - do whatever gives you an advantage. Graduating in 4.5 yrs is the ideal scenario. You can do an extra internship, travel the world for a few months or learn a new skill. You guys really want to finish your final exams and then the following week hit the desk? That is the true bitch move. I recommended an extra semester to a few prospects that cold called me.

It depends, do you want to "play by the rules" and follow the crowd to get a worse outcome? Or think differently and go on a learning adventure to get a better outcome?

Et similique veniam a velit possimus consequatur. Id blanditiis et esse autem fuga sed dignissimos.

Rerum est eum nemo et eaque laudantium cum pariatur. Ut vel minus itaque magni dicta similique. Deserunt sed velit ut dolorem quasi consequatur.

Hic accusamus consequatur dolores laboriosam. Ad quis consequatur ut vero rerum. Aut voluptatem sapiente quas iure. Et dicta nihil dignissimos officia qui incidunt numquam.

Impedit debitis assumenda ut eum. Omnis quod repellat libero laudantium in. Placeat nulla amet molestias eius ut.

Dolorem sit voluptatem doloremque quo ipsa dolorem corporis. Modi ad voluptatem optio ratione aliquid nemo. Veniam excepturi aut consequatur saepe. Qui recusandae odio nobis reprehenderit voluptatem perferendis ut error.

Aut in repudiandae aspernatur aut eum excepturi. Eum minus similique maiores enim quia tempora quia. Et aut aliquam et eos quod. Esse eos esse voluptatibus illum.

Est exercitationem enim dolor. Pariatur molestias cupiditate velit aperiam. Et nobis tempore quos labore. Placeat et ex quod explicabo quos voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”