I totally understand your frustration, and I'm here to help. It's not uncommon to struggle with attention to detail, especially in high-pressure environments like investment banking. Here are some strategies that might help:

1. Develop a routine for checking work: This could involve going through each slide from top to bottom, bottom to top, left to right, right to left, and diagonally. This systematic approach can help ensure you don't miss anything.

2. Allocate more time for reviewing: If you're rushing to meet deadlines, you might be more prone to making mistakes. Try to spend twice as much time reviewing your work as you initially think you'll need.

3. Use technology to your advantage: Tools like Factset's trace precedents can help ensure numbers are coming from the right place. Also, consider building a "check" into your model to catch any discrepancies.

4. Print and review your work: It can be easier to spot mistakes on paper than on a screen. Try printing your work and reviewing it by hand. You could even review it backwards (from the last page to the first) to ensure you're not just skimming through.

5. Turn off distractions: Try to minimize distractions as much as possible when you're working. This could mean turning off your phone or closing any irrelevant tabs on your computer.

6. Exercise and maintain a healthy lifestyle: Regular physical activity can help improve focus and attention to detail. Try to find 30-60 minutes each day for exercise, even if it's just a home workout or a run.

7. Ask for feedback: Don't be afraid to ask your colleagues or superiors for feedback. They might be able to provide valuable insights into areas you could improve.

Remember, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It's all about finding strategies to manage these and play to your strengths. Don't be too hard on yourself - you've already achieved a lot, and with some adjustments, you can continue to succeed in your career.

Sources: IB/PE with ADHD?, How to train attention to detail, https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/advice-on-improving-terrible-attention-to-detail?customgpt=1, Is ADHD a fine explanation for low GPA, Improving Focus in Investment Banking

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

When I did my Private Equity internship my biggest saving grace was pretending it was a game, “how many details can I get right the first time and how many can I catch the second”. It felt like minesweeper trying to scour it. Having ADHD makes it so if something isn’t intensely interesting, our brains make it a back burner issue. If you turn things into games, it will feel start to perceive things as challenges and puzzles that you can hyper fixate on, if that makes sense. Good luck bro!!

There’s a book with a step by step guide really helping me improve as I’ve had the same issues. It’s called “Your brain at work” by Dr. David Rock. Hope this helps. 

When I was in banking I worked for some associates / VPs that were attention to detail Nazis and would call you out for the littlest things. Others were much more laid back and really only cared big picture if the slide looked professional and numbers were accurate. It’s going to be hard to succeed in any finance career without some level of attention to detail but certain bosses can make it 10x harder. I would just look for another job and who knows maybe you’ll end up working in a more laid back group. Also, I guarantee you’ll do a better job / catch more mistakes at your next gig just by being aware of common mistakes you’ve made in the past.

Keep your head up and don’t give up!

Tough love: I’m sorry but the adhd thing is a pathetic sorry excuse. There are loads of current and ex bankers with adhd. Many of them aren’t medicated as well, so you have an advantage. Attention to detail is a trainable teachable skill like riding a bike. It’s hard if you haven’t done it before and no one teaches you, but it isn’t some “you have it or you don’t” skill that people with adhd can’t do. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and using your adhd as an excuse, it’s just a straight up lie.

More generous: look, in terms of getting laid off, shake it off and don’t take it personally. Learn from your mistakes, but realize it’s likely less about you and more about the economic situation and headcount issues banks currently have. Several years ago you wouldn’t have been fired likely. But in the current environment they are looking for bodies to let go and you might have just not been prepared for this job at this point in your life. It doesn’t mean you can’t do the job, it likely just means you had some skills that needed improvement and were starting at a place lower than others in your class. It also could have been you got staffed with poor mangers or really negative people and that is why things turned out the way they did. Either way, realize there are reasons aside from your performance that likely were why someone had to be let go and focus on the things you can improve going forward to be better when you get another attempt at working.

Attention to detail: it’s really pretty easy to fix, if I was managing you, you wouldn’t have been let go. Here’s how you fix attention to detail:

• create a checklist of errors and walk through the list looking for just those errors. So, “numbers, capitalizations, spelling, alignment, etc.” Checklists work wonders.
  • Print the thing you are proof reading out and physically check off things in your check list. 
  • Write down errors you make and add them to the check list. Eventually you realize there are themes with your work product that leads to issues.
  • don’t listen to music as you work and try to do one section at a time when you work on things. You can’t jump around and do different parts or you will have errors and mistakes. Music also makes you not as focused—later on it’s fine, but not when starting out.
  • “slow down” is the shity advice given. It’s real advice, but phrased poorly. I would suggest instead “walk away and come back”. After completing a deliverable, go for a 5-10 minute walk and come back then go through your check list. It sounds weird, but taking an extra 20 minutes to go for a walk and proof read is way better than sending something with an error. This is what people mean when they say “slow down.”
  • You get better with practice.

Good luck, shake it off, and try to start your next role off on a better foot

I am grateful for this message. I was on the verge of switching careers and saying fuck it and doing something different. This is exactly what I needed to hear. Ever since this message I sat my ass down, looked at myself in the mirror, and took accountability for everything. I’ve been training every single day since, practicing everything, and developing my own routine to get better at checking details. You’re right, this is a trainable skill to have but it’s up to me to do it on my own.

No one else is going to help me but me, I have made it to a target, I’ve gotten in IB, and I can do it again but make it right this time. I really appreciate this man, this is the feedback I was looking for versus simply giving up on something I’ve been passionate about.

Thank you man.

Minima et a doloremque dignissimos ducimus. Velit soluta reprehenderit qui fugiat vel. Dignissimos occaecati molestias voluptatem et officia doloremque esse. Minima dolores qui beatae enim quia voluptas ex.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (147) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”