Tech Leads the Turnaround | The Daily Peel | 7/6/22

Market Snapshot

Futures pointed towards a lower open yesterday morning, but the Nasdaq led a massive rotation that looked like a maximum pain, old growth trade. ETH and BTC are still doing a lot of nothing, and oil retreated more than 8% back below 100 bucks a barrel.

The Nasdaq was our leader, closing up 1.75%. The Dow was our loser, down 0.42%. The S&P was up 0.16%. Not a bad turnaround after seeing huge losses early in the trading session.

Interested in honing your modeling and valuation skills? This virtual, 2-day bootcamp will help you master MS Excel, leveraged buyouts, financial statements, M&A models, and valuations. This session is filling up; don’t miss your chance to master these vital skills. Master Financial Modeling and Valuation

Let’s get into it.

Banana Bits

Banana Brain Teaser

Yesterday — I’m taller when I’m young but shorter as I get older. I’m not Benjamin Button. What am I?

A candle or a pencil.

Today — For today’s BBT, we will slash 250 bananas off the sticker price of our Financial Modeling and Valuation Bootcamp for the first fifteen correct respondents. Let’s try this one out:

When can 8 plus 8 give you 4?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line Banana Brain Teaser or simply click here to reply!

Macro Monkey Says

Two Factor Turnaround — You guys aren’t dumb; you don’t need me to tell you that the market today is a full 180 out from how it was in 2021.

Indeed, after literally the $hittiest first half since 1970, it’s hard to have much to look forward to as many of the major macro factors that brought us to where we are now are still on the table.

I’ll posit this: two major headwinds are eating our lunch.

The first is inflation. This is a no-brainer. You guys are probably tired of hearing about it.

The second, less obviously, is a global central banking environment amongst major economies that can be viewed as adversarial to asset prices.

Now that the G7 and their central banks are kind of on the same page, a global recession would seem like a logical layover during this tightening cycle.

Sadly, the only way to enter a recession might be monetary tightening. These central bankers need to dole out some doses of uncomfortable medicine in order for Main Street and markets to rip once more.

This leaves a little room for some upside, though.

If inflation can eventually subside, the collective policy stance of these big and mean central bankers might adjust to keep with the times; in layman’s terms, maybe Daddy JPow will stop attacking my net worth.

It has been a rough six months. The bad news is that we might have another rough half-year ahead of us.

It’s not worth hanging your head over it yet; there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, and long-term, markets, historically speaking, have always trended higher.

WSO Financial Modeling & Valuation Bootcamp

banner

Interested in honing your modeling and valuation skills? This virtual, 2-day bootcamp will help you master MS Excel, leveraged buyouts, financial statements, M&A models, and valuations.

Taught by experienced finance professionals with proven industry success, this course is a unique opportunity to better your skills and propel your career. Our goal: give you the modeling and valuation foundation you need to conquer the finance world. This session is filling up; don’t miss your chance to master these vital skills.

Master Financial Modeling and Valuation

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Ripe

Lululemon ($LULU) — Shares of $LULU closed markedly higher yesterday, gaining 7.69% during the session.

Short interest in the fab-letica brand has declined during the last four trading weeks, according to Market Beat, but this name is down almost 27% YTD.

Lululemon doesn’t just sell yoga pants; it sells a lifestyle. At least that’s what people say when they swipe their platinum cards for $120 leggings.

Best Buy ($BBY) — After its recent downgrade, $BBY has been struggling. The stock appears to be down 35% without any real end in sight.

However, yesterday was a great day for the electronics retailer. Shares moved higher after a muted opening. At the closing bell, $BBY was up 4.81%.

What's Rotten

Energy ($XLE) — When WTI Crude backslides by more than 8%, you bet your a** that energy names are going to trade lower.

Most of the S&P’s top losers were energy tickers: Halliburton, ConocoPhillips, Hess Corp, Marathon Oil Company… the list goes on. The S&P Energy ETF $XLE lost 3.97% yesterday.

Caterpillar ($CAT) — Shares of $CAT were amongst the top decliners in the DJIA, losing 2.41% yesterday.

These cats, pun intended, had quite the slump in June, losing more than 17% of their market cap.

Caterpillar’s end markets tend to move in lockstep with the economy, so a recession would mean a pullback in their revenues and bottom line.

Thought Banana

What’s Next? — Sometimes, when I reflect back on the last two years or so, I’m flabbergasted at the chain of events that brought us to July of 2022.

If there’s one thing I think many of us have learned to live with, it’s volatility, particularly when it comes to news.

We’ve watched a lot of buying and selling of the news, more so than I have seen in another decade of closely following markets.

One has to wonder: can this possibly persist, or will there be a logical return towards some nominal mean?

When I say a return towards the mean, I mean less of a focus on emotion surrounding news and more of an emphasis on fundamentals, profits, and performance.

In the words of Michael Burry, “The preference, always, would be to buy a long-term franchise at a substantial discount from growing intrinsic value.”

It would appear that hype has outperformed intrinsic value growth lately.

When I still see 11-year-olds becoming overnight millionaires, celebrities pumping NFTs, or Tom Brady flamethrower-ing in an FTX commercial, I don’t think we have bottomed just yet. It does, however, scream that there’s a hype bubble.

With some of the juiciest names from the last couple of years down one- to two-thirds of their market cap in the last six months, there are some deals out there.

There are also some losers who won’t experience the same growth until the Fed has tamed inflation and makes cheap money available like a drunken sailor.

In the short term, I’m thinking defensively. Some call it wealth preservation. You do you, though.

Wise Investor Says

“Superior investors make more money in good times than they give back in bad times.” — Howard Marks

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Esse quia et quam quam. Iusto ab nemo autem ea voluptatibus sunt. Ad inventore atque vel ad. Est quia et tenetur et veritatis. Et velit sunt saepe. Libero laborum distinctio quis voluptatem et aut a corrupti. Amet et eum nemo odio nostrum.

Molestias illum officia quas aut eos molestiae. Officia voluptatem ad omnis earum voluptatum voluptatem. Nobis aut iste quos odit voluptate totam aliquam.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”