BMW Z4 M40i vs Porsche 718 Boxster (base)

I’m transferring to a satellite office of my bank in a city where I’ll need a car. Is won’t be for another year, but I’m starting to look. 

Current situation is: 

Must haves: 2-seater roadster, drop-top 

Would be nice: New, mid-engine, under $90k, some autonomous features (like ACC)

A maxed out BMW Z4 M40i comes in at ~$81k while the Boxster (base) with leather and the premium package along with a few other options is ~$86k. The BMW has an inline 6 and the Porsche an inline 4

My dream car would be a maxed out Mercedes AMG GT C, but that’s $200k, but that’s wayyy too much for me for a for at least 5+ years. I’m not a “car guy” per se, but I’ve always enjoyed driving and do so for peace of mind.

I’d also consider a Tesla Model 3 performance simply for the full self driving. That comes in at $77k. Even though it’s not a convertible. It also smokes the other two in 0-60  

Insurance rates are also a concern as I was in an accident that was my fault in college, but I assume they’ll be very similar across most of the cars I’m considering  

Also don’t want a car that’s gonna be a “dick magnet” 

Edit: not sure why this is tagged as France  

Region

Why not consider a CPO 2020 or 2021 for either model? Save a few grand, and I trust a Porsche or BMW CPO to be reliable and not some trashed out clapped out drug dealer's run about.

Either one would be awesome, but if you want a more serious driver's car I'd probably have to go with the Boxster. Ultimately though, go drive them both and find for yourself. Even better if you can try them at a HPDE or back country road rally. No amount of navel-gazing on a forum dedicated to finance junkies will be better than that.

Edit to add: For insurance, even if it was your fault so long as a straight up accident with nothing else involved like DUI/negligence/etc they'll care more about your credit rating and credit history than that. So long as that's in decent shape, your rates will be too.

The poster formerly known as theAudiophile. Just turned up to 11, like the stereo.

Most Helpful

Echo what the above poster said. Just to add though, as someone who owns a Boxster 981S - even being a good few years old now, it’s an absolutely fantastic car to drive. You can just tell everything in the car has been engineered to perfection, and all the parts come together seamlessly to create an incredible driving experience (not just speed but handling around corners etc).

From what I’ve heard the 718 is a fantastic car too. The only downside vs previous Boxster models is the switch down to 4-cylinder engines, which means while the car is just as fast it doesn’t have the same engine noise/acceleration “purr” that 981 and earlier generations had. I don’t think that would be a real issue though (personally think I will upgrade to a 718 at some point in the near-future).

My dream car would be a maxed out Mercedes AMG GT C, but that's $200k, but that's wayyy too much for me for a for at least 5+ years.

Didn't Mercedes Benz announce that they're ending GT production and will only offer the SL? Unfortunate if true. The GT looks so much nicer than the SL imo

Actually so now I looked it up, and they are ending production of the current GT but are supposed to be announcing a new one later this year. Based on the renderings, I think the current one looks slightly better, but I couldn't find too many pics. The new one won't be offered in a convertible option. 

Amet deserunt dolorem accusantium delectus. Expedita neque perferendis qui voluptas corporis. Culpa aut unde aliquid. Reiciendis quia unde maxime accusantium iste laborum excepturi accusamus.

Sed laudantium aut sit ea. Inventore quia aut amet eum minima. Iusto quia voluptatem dolor ratione fugit voluptas et.

Dolor eum id et voluptas nobis doloribus necessitatibus. Aut in et sint ipsum. Sit dolores doloremque voluptatem voluptas enim laborum pariatur. Molestiae deserunt quo rerum fuga laudantium aut.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (151) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”